The Trust was established as a combined hospital and community Trust on April 1 2001 by the merger of North East Lincolnshire NHS Trust and Scunthorpe and Goole Hospitals NHS Trust.
We achieved Foundation Trust status on May 1 2007 and on April 1 2011 we took over community services in North Lincolnshire under the Transforming Community Services agenda. In 2013 we dropped the word ‘hospitals’ from our name to reflect that we offer a wide range of services out in the community as well as at our three hospitals.
The history of our hospitals
The Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital in Grimsby was built in 1983.
There’s been a hospital in Scunthorpe since the 1880s and like the Trust it’s had a number of names over the years. In 1886 Frodingham Cottage Hospital was opened, but on a different site. The Scunthorpe and District War Memorial Hospital was built on the current site in 1929, it opened in December of that year with just 72 beds. The name was changed to Scunthorpe General Hospital in 1970.
Goole and District Hospital was purpose-built and opened in 1988 bringing together services from a number of scattered sites in and around the town.