As the year draws to a close, we’d like to invite you to join us in looking back over 2021 and the work we have done to improve our hospitals and facilities.
Everything we do is about making sure that if you or a loved one needs us, we will be there to give you the care and expert treatment you need.
To get that right, it’s important that our buildings and facilities are up to the job.
And that’s why we’re investing in Building Our Future, creating purpose-built new Emergency Departments and diagnostic facilities.
We’re also refurbishing our existing facilities and working to reduce our carbon footprint to help improve the general health of the communities we serve.
It’s been a really busy year, with lots going on. So, as we head into towards the end of 2021, we thought it’d be a great time to look back and remind ourselves how far we have come.
2021: The first quarter
The first quarter of the year was relatively quiet but there were still some big developments and lots of preparation for what was to come.
Between January to March we:
- Rang in the new year by opening the £1.6 million Coastal CT suite at Grimsby Hospital
- Started on the £300,000 upgrade of one of our X-Ray rooms at Goole, along with the installation of new digital equipment.
- Began the preparations for the construction of our new Emergency Departments at Grimsby and Scunthorpe. Planning permission was granted, scaffolding was going up, the sites were being prepared and we started to relocate staff away from the construction zones.
- Work started on the installation of a new and improved fire alarm system and we also began the process of replacing some of our aging water infrastructure.
- In March, our new MRI scanners arrived at Grimsby Hospital, as we moved nearer to completing the £8-million facility.
Spring into action
Between April and June:
- Our first patients were welcomed into the new £8 million MRI suite at Grimsby Hospital.
- Work started on the decked car park at Scunthorpe Hospital
- We created new staff car parks at Grimsby, ensuring there would be sufficient parking for patients and visitors once we closed off the main car park for work to start on the Emergency Department.
- The work to refurbish our X Ray room at Goole was finished and the first patients were seen
- Work started on a Trust-wide drive to reduce our carbon footprint by 60%. Goole led the way, where we began work to replace the old coal fired boilers, improve the hospital’s insulation and install energy efficient LED lighting.
- Work started on the long-awaited refurbishment of one of our Scunthorpe operating theatres.
- We acquired and opened up a new park and walk facility on the old Scartho Baths site at Grimsby, providing an additional 38 free parking spaces for staff and patients
Summer of ’21
Summer arrived with all the glitz and glam of the ballroom as Strictly star and all round lovely lady Joanne Clifton officially opened Grimsby’s new MRI suite.
And between July and September:
• There were yet more celebrations, as the team behind our Clinical Data Improvement Programme scooped Highly Commended in the HSJ Best Consultancy Partnership with the NHS award.
• We created a virtual memorial to some of our oldest buildings at Scunthorpe Hospital, which sadly had to be demolished in order to build our new Emergency department. It’s packed with photographs, details of the history of the site and memories and it’s well worth a read.
• Work continued on making our hospitals more environmentally friendly and sustainable, as the chimney stack for Goole’s former coal powered heating system was removed.
• We opened a new decked car park at Scunthorpe Hospital, providing 91 new public parking spaces on the ground floor.
• At Grimsby, our new Emergency Department and decked car park started to take shape.
Drawing to a close
We finish looking back over 2021 with a recap of the last three months.
Since October, we have:
- Started to dig exploratory boreholes for a planned new sustainable geothermal heating system for Scunthorpe Hospital – and picked up an innovation award from the Health Business Awards in the process.
- Refurbished the endoscopy unit at Grimsby Hospital, providing additional levels of privacy for our patients
- Laid the foundations for the new Scunthorpe Emergency Department
- And the awards have continued rolling in, as the new decked car park was also awarded Park Mark and Disabled Parking Accreditation
It’s been an amazing year for us and, we’d like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your patience and support while these works are being done.
There’s more to come next year too and we look forward to sharing more news with you in 2022.
Happy New Year!
Get all the latest news on the improvement works, and what you need to know if you’re coming to one of our hospitals.