What is Patients Know Best (PKB)
Cardiology patients are now able to take advantage of an online service that gives you secure access to your health record and helps you manage your condition from home.
It’s a bit like online banking, but instead, you can use it to manage your health. All your data is stored securely. Simply log in to view your healthcare information or use it to understand and monitor your condition.
We started the rollout og the Patients Know Best (PKB) system in July 2021 in Cardiology only (with a view to giving access to other services at a later date).
Have we got your email address on record?
So we can invite you to register for the portal please email email@example.com with your name, address, date of birth, and NHS number (if you know it).
Not a Cardiology patient? We hope to rollout this technology to other areas too so let us know your email address in advance.
PKB is free to use and will allow you to:
- See your record anytime: See all your appointments, medical correspondence, test results, and medication lists, together in one place, wherever you go.
- Receive notifications when new information is available, prepare any questions ahead of appointments and manage your health and care in the meantime.
- Access resources: Access the information and advice created by your healthcare team online. Find tailored resources designed to meet your individual care needs
- Add your data: Add important information about your past medical history or any old clinical documentation so it’s there in one place, when you need it.
- Connect wearable devices: Connect data from over 100 wearable devices such as Fitbits or glucometers. Share this data with healthcare teams from the comfort of your own home in real-time. This helps you to track your condition.
- Track your health: Keep a journal, monitor your symptoms and add measurements.
- Understand what’s normal for you. Then, if something isn’t quite right, you know when to contact your health and care team.
- Share your record: Instantly share all, or parts of your record with anyone who needs it. Quickly give access to your GP, hospital consultant, at-home care provider, pharmacist, paramedic, carer or next of kin. Control what they see with granular privacy and consent settings and best of all, access it wherever you go (at home or abroad) for real peace of mind.
Heart failure patients will also be able to:
- Securely message your healthcare team online and quickly share data, messages, photos, videos and documents with them in minutes.
- View care plans.
To find out more about this service or to understand how your data is protected, go to the PKB website.
How can I register?
We’ll be contacting existing Cardiology patients to invite them to sign up for a PKB account so please make sure we have an up-to-date email address for you.
Received an invitation from us already? Great log in here
Need help? Watch this video:
Frequently Asked Questions
What devices can I use to log in?
You can access your PKB record from any smartphone, tablet, or desktop device. There’s no need to update your device or install new software. Simply use your web browser to log in at my.patientsknowbest.com. However, either you (or your carer) will need regular internet access to receive your correspondence and to access all the features.
Will this affect my care?
No, this will not affect the care you already receive from us. Instead, it’s designed to improve your care and experience, help you to be more involved in decisions, get better explanations from us, and give you the tools to manage your care safely at home.
Why is this only being offered to Cardiology patients?
The Trust is running this as a pilot scheme within Cardiology. Should the pilot be successful we will look at extending it to other services.
Is the system secure; and how can I be sure my information won’t be shared or sold?
Patients Know Best is hosted within the NHS network, so it’s just as secure as the information we as a hospital hold about you. We chose this system because it meets the stringent NHS requirements for health record systems and is fully compliant with the Data Protection Legislation 2018. All personal and health information is encrypted (or coded), with PKB only having access to your NHS number. This means only you and the people you choose can access your health information.
Can I ask a carer or family member to register on my behalf?
Yes, family members and carers can, with your consent, register on your behalf. However, they should not use their own email account to do this. If you want the family member or carer to have access to your record they can be added in the “sharing” section. This will allow them to set up their own account and allow you to control the level of access they have to your record.
Why is the portal empty?
Once registered, your information will start to become available. In the meantime, you can add your own information, for example, by tracking your symptoms, recording any medication you take, connecting wearable devices (e.g. Fitbits or glucometers) or keeping a journal to help monitor any conditions.
I’m having technical problems. Who should I contact?
Please email PKB directly at firstname.lastname@example.org You only need to provide your name, the name of the organisation that created your account (i.e. this hospital) and a summary of the problem(s) you have encountered.