Speech and language therapy
Our speech and language therapy teams provide specialised assessment and therapy for a wide range of communication and swallowing disorders, both in hospital and community settings.
We assess, manage and treat a range of disorders and see patients who have:
- Acquired communication/swallowing disorders
- Voice disorders
- Fluency disorders (stammering)
- Acquired neurological conditions (e.g. stroke, head injury)
- Progressive neurological conditions (e.g. dementia, multiple sclerosis)
- Undergone oral surgery and laryngectomy (removal of the voice box).
We operate an open referral system, which means we accept referrals not only from GPs, hospital doctors and other professionals, but also from patients themselves (or their parents/carers).
The exceptions to this are voice disorders where referrals are only accepted after assessment by an ENT consultant, and swallowing disorders, where a referral must be from a doctor, nurse or allied health professional.
Has your child been referred to a speech and language therapist?