What is Patients Know Best (PKB)?
PKB gives you secure access to parts of your health record via an online patient portal.
Once you’ve signed up you’ll be able to view outpatient summaries, discharge summaries and appointment details. If you are receiving treatment elsewhere, from another healthcare provider, you may be able to see information relating to that too. All your data is stored securely. Simply log in to view your healthcare information or use it to understand and monitor your condition.
After registering you can use PKB via the NHS App.
For a step by step guide to help you register using NHS login click here.
Have you recieved an email invite to PKB?
If you’ve received an email which says ‘Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust has connected your Patients Know Best (PKB) record to a new team that is, or has been, working with you. The team’s name is The Patient Records Team’ please be assured it is genuine.
Earlier this week – 9 August 2023 – we sent out email invites to patients to sign up to PKB.
PKB is free to use and will allow you to:
- See your record anytime: See all your appointments, in one place, wherever you go. View clinical letters (discharge summaries and outpatient summaries) following your appointment or hospital stay
- Receive notifications when new information is available, prepare any questions ahead of appointments and manage your health and care in the meantime.
- Add your data: Add important information about your past medical history or any old clinical documentation so it’s there in one place, when you need it.
- Track your health: Keep a journal, monitor your symptoms and add measurements. Understand what’s normal for you. Then, if something isn’t quite right, you know when to contact your health and care team.
- Share your record: Instantly share all, or parts of your record with anyone who needs it. Quickly give access to your GP, hospital consultant, at-home care provider, pharmacist, paramedic, carer or next of kin. Control what they see with granular privacy and consent settings and best of all, access it wherever you go (at home or abroad) for real peace of mind.
To find out more about this service or to understand how your data is protected go to the PKB website.
How can I register?
We’ll be contacting patients who we have an email address for to invite them to sign up for a PKB account. So we can contact you please ensure we have an up-to-date email address for you. Contact our Patient access team – email@example.com
Received an invitation from us already? Go to joinpkb.com to complete registration.
Need help? Watch this video:
Frequently Asked Questions
What devices can I use to log in?
You can access your PKB record from any smartphone, tablet, or desktop device. There’s no need to update your device or install new software. Simply use your web browser to log in at my.patientsknowbest.com. You can also access PKB via the NHS App. Either you (or your carer) will need regular internet access to receive your correspondence and to access all the features.
Do I need an email address to register?
Yes. you can only use one unique email address per registration e.g. you can’t use a family shared email if your family/friend already uses that email for their PKB account. If you are registering via the NHSApp, it will automatically use the email address associated with that account.
Will this affect my care?
No, this will not affect the care you already receive from us. Instead, it’s designed to improve your care and experience, help you to be more involved in decisions, get better explanations from us, and give you the tools to manage your care safely at home.
Is the system secure and how can I be sure my information won’t be shared on sold?
Patients Know Best is hosted within the NHS network, so it’s just as secure as the information we as a hospital hold about you. We chose this system because it meets the stringent NHS requirements for health record systems and is fully compliant with the Data Protection Legislation 2018. All personal and health information is encrypted (or coded), with PKB only having access to your NHS number. This means only you and the people you choose can access your health information.
Can I ask a carer or family member to register on my behalf?
Yes with your consent they can register on your behalf. However, they should not use their own email account to do this. If you want the family member or carer to have access to your record they can be added in the “sharing” section. This will allow them to set up their own account and allow you to control the level of access they have to your record.
Why can I no longer access results of my tests and investigations in my PKB record?
We are currently reviewing patient’s information sharing agreements with other healthcare providers and how we will collectively share information digitally. Therefore we have taken the decision to suspend reporting Radiology and Pathology results and reports on the Patients Knows Best (PKB) patient portal.
Once we have a Humber and North Yorkshire information sharing agreement we will be in a position to reconvene reporting results and clinical correspondence with our patients.
If you have access to your GP digital records you will be able to view correspondence sent to your GP from the Trust and other Healthcare organisations.
Why is the portal empty?
Some patients may not have any information in their records when they first register however this will change over time as you visit the hospital for treatment.
I’m having technical problems. Who should I contact?
I’m having trouble opening attachments on my phone
- Try another browser on your device e.g Chrome / Internet Explorer, for a list of supported browsers please click here
- Try opening the attachment on another device
- Try installing a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Acrobat Reader) on the device that you are using.