As a new year dawns, what better time could there be for looking ahead to 2022?
It’s going to be a big year for all of us here at Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust, as we continue our programme of work to transform healthcare in our region.
Our number one priority will always be to make sure that if you or a loved one needs us, we will be there to give you the care and expert treatment you need.
And to do that, it’s important that we have the right buildings and facilities.
Last year, we began one of the largest building programmes our Trust has ever seen – which has already made a huge difference to the service we’re able to provide to you.
And we have no plans to stop there…
January to March
- This month we’re planning to open our new decked car park at Grimsby Hospital, providing you with two floors of patient and visitor parking, right outside the main entrance. Look out for more details soon.
- You’ll start to see our new Emergency Department taking shape at Scunthorpe, as the steel framework begins to arrive on site next month.
- We’ll be starting work to completely refurbish Ward 25 at Scunthorpe General, creating 14 single, ensuite rooms – including two isolation rooms. We’ll also be creating dedicated staff areas as well as all the facilities our teams need to look after you.
- Work to extend our MRI unit at Scunthorpe and bring in a brand new additional scanner is due to complete early this year. We’re hoping to welcome our first patients in just a few weeks, so keep checking back for more news.
- Goole Hospital has been leading the way on our drive to become more sustainable and cut our carbon footprint. We’ve already removed the old coal-fired boilers, improved our insulation and installed energy efficient LED lighting and, from March, all the works on site should be complete and we’ll be generating our own electricity from our new combined heat and power unit.
- We’ll continue to demolish the old modular building which once housed our Critical Care Unit at Grimsby Hospital.
- While you won’t see this when you visit our sites, the Digital Services team are leading the drive to cut down on our use of paper and develop systems that will allow to move to a digital first model of working.
April to September
- We’ll be looking ahead to summer with a spring in our step, as work on our new Grimsby Emergency Department is due to be finished in the first half of this year – watch this space for updates!
- Once the move into the new unit has been completed, we will then begin transforming the old A&E unit into a new, streamlined Acute Assessment Unit (AAU).
- Work will also progress on the Emergency Department at Scunthorpe, where you’ll see the building taking shape as the year progresses.
October to December
- Our Digital Services team will complete work to implement a new Patient Administration System, providing our clinicians with improved access to the information they need to care for you.
- Before the year is out, we’re also due to finish work on our new Scunthorpe Emergency Department. As with Grimsby, once the move from the current A&E is complete, we will start work to convert it into an Acute Assessment Unit (AAU).
- Work on the AAU at Grimsby won’t quite be finished before the end of 2022 but it won’t be far off – and looking ahead to 2023 we hope to have it up and running early in the new year.
We know that this work means another year of disruption to our normal service and all of us would like to thank you for your ongoing patience and understanding.
The team behind the building programme are doing all they can to minimise the impact on you and, if there’s anything more we can do, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.