An endoscopy is a procedure where the inside of your body is examined internally using an endoscope. Our staff aim to deliver a service which is patient centred and promotes privacy and dignity and comfort. Procedures are performed by endoscopists and supported by experienced trained endoscopy nurses and health care assistants.
The service is currently provided at the Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital (DPoW) in Grimsby and Scunthorpe General Hospital. Endoscopy services at Goole have been temporarily moved to Scunthorpe while the Trust considers the substantial investment that is needed to improve decontamination facilities at Goole.
Around 1800 procedures are carried out each month with services provided in integrated units with a multidisciplinary approach to patient care. The majority of patients using the service are seen on a day-case basis. The unit also provides services for adults admitted to the wards on a planned and unplanned basis, along with an out-of-hours Upper Gastrointestinal bleed service.
The units have three permanently equipped rooms at each site, providing a variety of procedures including diagnostic and therapeutic:
- Oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (OGD)
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio Pancreatography
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
Staff are working towards gaining and maintaining JAG (Joint Advisory Group) accreditation.
Getting to your appointment
The Trust has a number of patient and visitor car parks, which have dedicated disabled parking spaces. The Grimsby unit is located on B floor of the hospital and the unit at Scunthorpe is located on the ground floor adjacent to the main entrance. Both units have a waiting area for patients and relatives and the DPoW unit has lift facilities adjacent to the entrance. The units are open from Monday to Friday, 8.am to 7pm and on Saturdays from 8am to 6pm.
24 hour contact numbers in place for patient support, which are detailed on all Patient Information Leaflets and Discharge letters.
Patient information leaflets
- Bronchoscopy – A guide to the test
- Flexible Cystoscopy – A guide to the test
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection
- Gastroscopy – A guide to the test
- Gastroscopy with radiofrequency ablation
- Oesophageal Dilatation
- Oesophageal Stent Insertion
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-Pancreatography (ERCP) – A guide to the test
- Colonoscopy – A Guide to the Test
- Colonoscopy with Extended Bowel Preparation
- Colonoscopy – Easy Read Version
- Capsule Endoscopy