North East Lincolnshire
We support children and young people from birth to 17 years with Speech, Language and Communication needs. For most children this will mean help developing their spoken communication. For other children it may include using visual communication strategies, for example: Makaton signing, use of pictures or objects.
Our teams include Speech and Language Therapists and Speech and Language Therapy Assistants. Speech and Language Therapists are members of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and the Health and Care Professions Council.
We help children with:
- Using speech sounds
- Understanding language
- Putting words together
- Developing vocabulary
- Selective Mutism
A mix of any of the above.
There are a number of useful videos that explain the benefits of speech and language therapy.
What we do:
- Work alongside families and other professionals.
- Provide a Specialist Assessment
- Offer strategies and advice
- Offer groups and one to one sessions working towards individual goals.
- Provide a child-centred care plan
Children aged three to 17-years-old can be referred by parents/carers, teachers, GPs or other professionals. Parents are recommended to speak to their child’s school or health visitor if they are concerned about their speech and language development.
Children with feeding and/or swallowing problems need to be referred by their doctor.
- Community Pre-School Referral form (273kb)
- Community School Referral form (274kb)
- Paediatrician’s or GP’s Community Referral form (264kb)
- Community Pre-School Referral form (237kb)
- 2 year speech and language measure (237kb)
Your first appointment in North East Lincolnshire will be offered at the Speech and Language Centre or the Child Development Centre at Diana Princess of Wales Hospital, Grimsby or at Immingham Family Hub.
Following a referral to Speech and Language Therapy you will be contacted to arrange a convenient appointment within 4 weeks, this will be by phone or by letter.
Cancelling your appointment:
Please notify us as early as possible so that we can give the appointment to another patient. If you cancel an appointment with less than 24 hours’ notice, the appointment will be recorded as a failure to attend. Phone: 03033 303758
We would love to hear what you think about our service, how you found the appointments and any suggestions for improvements. You can tell us this by completing the Friends and Family Test.
Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital
We work in partnership with North East Lincolnshire Local Authority to provide some additional services.
• Family Hub Home visiting service for children aged 2 years.
• School Based intervention for children with speech and language difficulties who have an Education and Health Care Plan.
Home Visiting Service
This team is part of the North East Lincolnshire Children’s Therapy Service and provides a specialist service to children under three.
We work with children who have been referred following their speech and language measure, completed as part of the two year health check or those who have attended “Language through Listening” courses in the Family Hubs.
We provide an initial assessment and an individualised package of care with strategies and activity ideas to provide parents, carers and settings with ideas to support their child’s speech and language needs. We can also signpost to other groups or services that may be able to support that child.
If your child is aged 2-3 years and you have concerns about their speech and language development please speak to your child’s Health Visitor or call into one of the Family Hubs for a Speech and Language Measure assessment
School Based Intervention
We have a specialist Speech and Language Therapist who delivers school based assessment and intervention for children with an Education and Health Care plan who attend a Mainstream school in North East Lincolnshire and who have additional difficulties with their Speech and Language Development. Referrals are via our Community School Aged Referral Form.
Please follow the links below to get lots of advice about what you should expect of your child’s communication. There is also have information about supporting your child’s speech and language development:
For children aged 0-5 years
For children aged 5-11 years
For children aged 11-18 years
Pop Pop Bubbles! – https://youtu.be/xL20o54KkrY
Coping with challenging behaviour – https://youtu.be/ifQE8kdqh1Q
Puzzle game – https://youtu.be/fOJZ1sbFDjk
Rolling the ball – https://youtu.be/7QrOYA1BDCs
Sharing a book – https://youtu.be/wW4LD5S0DTc
Patient information leaflets
- Top Tips for Speech Sounds
- Top Tips for Talking
- Top tips for listening
- Top Tips to Support Children and Young People Who Stammer
- Top tips to support children and young people with selective mutism
- Factsheet for Parents of Children Who Stammer
- Attention and Listening (School Age Children)
- Understanding of Spoken Language (School Age Children)
- Use of Spoken Language – Expression (School Age Children)
- Vocabulary Development (School Age Children)